Sunday, August 17, 2008

APhotoEditor Launches "APhotoFolio" Service

Wildly popular for his irreverent commentary during his stint as a salaried employee at Mens Journal as a Photo Editor for his no-holds-barred opinions about photographers, photography, and the business in general, the formerly anonymous APhotoEditor has launched a website design service - APhotoFolio - and he makes some insightful points about just how important having a top-quality website is, and he details what he offers:

(Continued after the Jump)

4 Things Every Client Wants - "I’ve spent enough time as a Photography Director hunting for a phone number or “gadzeeks” even the link to the portfolio to know these things need to be available the second a client visits your website."

The Window of Opportunity - "How much time will a potential client spend on your website? I’ll bet the average is around 20 seconds, but I’ve spent as little as 1 second and as long as 10 minutes on a site. The first impression is critical (that’s where the 1 second comes in) because if the design, logo and the first image I see don’t add up to a certain taste level, then I’m probably wasting my time."

Why Our Control Panel Kicks Ass - One commenter wrote - "in my eyes, the control panels and administrative interfaces are what make or break an application for me. A product can have a beautiful design, but if I have to do too many manual steps to get work done, the work won’t get done."

10 Reasons Photo Editors Will Love These Designs - Among them - 3. Email a photo option - If the Photo Editor sees the perfect shot and wants to send it to the Creative Director, they can click the email a photo link and it’s done; and 9. iPhone and html ready Ever visited a flash website on your phone. It’s like it doesn’t exist. Our websites automatically create html and iPhone mirror sites that load when they need to.

10 Reasons Photographers Will Love Our Websites - among them - 2. Switch once for Free and $100 each time thereafter. - If you get tired of your design no worries just switch. How’s this for a sweet deal: after a year you want to freshen up your look, switch for free and only keep paying the $17/month hosting fee. We will have at least 4 more to choose from a year from now, if not more; and 5. Wordpress Blog included - You don’t have to get one when you start either, we’ll add it whenever you ask. Having a blog on your url http://www.mysite.com/blog is an excellent way to get seen in google searches.

Rob's service, with a $1,000 one-time set-up fee and $17/mo has a higher initial cost than, say, SiteWelder, but is less expensive over time on the annualized costs; and then there's the cheap (and it shows) route of BluDomain, with their $100 and $400 sites.

One question I know Rob will get (and I've addressed the importance of - It's Google's World, You're Just A Small Part of It, 11/28/07; and SEO - Wild Wild West or Reason & Logic?, 3/4/08) will be how do his sites handle SEO and crawl-ability, and thus, how do they rank on the search engines? How they're designed (i.e. how they look to Google's spiders) is one thing that can be learned in short order, the other - ranking, will be something that we can learn over time. From a design standpoint - I think they look awesome, and are worth a look.

Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's kinda harsh about BluDomain. Their sites are perfectly fine and allow for client viewing of event photos. Something PhotoFolio does not.

Each service serves a specific type of photographer.

He looks childish making such a comment.

John Harrington said...

Actually, *I* made the comment about BluDomain - they're just not going to cut it. Cutting corners on your website will cost you more money than you save - and in a short period of time.

-- John

Ken Lopez said...

I'm interested to see your take on how Rob Haggart's sites compare to a livebooks website (which is what I currently own and love btw),

Always a good read John,

-Ken

John Harrington said...

Ken --

Rob's just starting out, and he has great ideas, and the templates look awesome. The challenge he will quickly face is the frequent and familiar appearance of his templates as more photographers sign on, so he'll need to add more templates, which I expect he'll do.

So too, as he (hopefully) grows, he'll need to add in support staff that will be able to assist people with their sites, or there will be a problem as people can't figure something out, or have coding problems with new browsers and OS. I don't know that the eventual cost of that is built into a $1k price, and as soon has he hits that critical mass where he's juggling new site (paying) work with supporting existing sites, he may find that he'll have to raise his rates - so, if you think that may be the case, strike at the $1k entry point!

Ancillary to that point is the timing, with weekday before-5pm points. It's good that he's straight with you about when he is - and is not - available.

That said, Haggart has said a ton of really great things about liveBooks before, so I don't expect him to talk down about them now.

-- John

Anonymous said...

I dont like it as much as livebooks. Also, my customer service with livebooks is great. I make a phonecall, I say "add this to my site", they reply with "just one second" and there it is. They bill my CC on file and within moments, im adding images to the new gallery or page i just requested.

To me, livebooks is still the better deal as far as cost, reliability, and flexability

Anonymous said...

I use Picaholic and not only do I have full control over my site, but every time I have a new feature idea, it seems to be implemented within weeks.

My clients always comment on the design, speed and clarity of my images.

Anonymous said...

As a livebooks owner I can tell you that I'm really excited about Robs offerings. The cost to upgrade my LB site to an Unlimited version is $300 more then to simply purchase a site from Photo Folio and with PF I also get a blog and iphone site both of which you do not get with Live Books.

Currently I'm evaluating having either a new site built from scratch or purchasing a site from Rob.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone here used clickbooq? I've been evaluating them, and they seem like a pretty good deal at $1700. Lots of galleries, lots of images, and lots of control. Word-press blog-able, and 100% customizable.

Thoughts? Comments? I'm tempted with the Photo Folio. One other thing is that the price of hosting is double that of clickbooq ($204/year vs. $100/year) Anyway, just wanted to see what you guys think

Anonymous said...

Who is Rob for cracking on bludomain? They have the best sites in the industry! Take the high road dude don't bash your competitors

Anonymous said...

会社設立
クレジットカード 海外旅行保険
結婚指輪
育毛剤
薬剤師 求人
ワンクリック詐欺
債務整理

Newer Post Older Post