Thursday, August 16, 2007

.Mobi and Mobile Platforms

PDN's Pulse blog is reporting on the latest evolution of websites - the mobile website. While Caesar Lima is among the first, I am in production to adapt my own site to the mobile platform, and that should be up soon. Caesar is using a link from his main site to a "/iphone" sub-folder. I'd submit that that will work for a few months as a cool gimmick, and then he'll be wishing he just did "/mobile" or some other non-specific title, as other devices are not far off.

For my mobile site, I've registered "http://JohnHarrington.Mobi" and "http://John-Harrington.Mobi" several months ago, and they will, once the mini-site is active, be viewable there, however, they will also be viewable by going to a page off of JohnHarrington.com which will have something like "/mobile" or some other variation that makes sense, in a generic way.

If you're stuck with JSmithPhoto.net, perhaps now is the time to get your .Mobi account with your full name! I know of many a big name photographer who's .Mobi domain name is still available. (I checked).


Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't get this ".mobi" stuff -- seriously, on a handheld PDA, whats easier to type? www.johnharrington.mobi or m.johnharrington.com?

Okay, you might lose the "www." part, which saves you one (1) character to type. Nevertheless, I just can't see the sense of creating a wholly different FQDN instead of using the "m."-Subdomain of your already established domain name.

Newer Post Older Post