Sunday, February 10, 2008

Carry Yourself Carefully (And with Proper ID)

I take solace in the fact that I am an accredited photojournalist, and I carry press credentials to that effect. Among those I carry are the bonafide offical press identification cards issued to be by the ASMP (American Society of Media Photographers), WHNPA (White House News Photographer's Association), and NPPA (National Press Photographer's Association), and PPA (Professional Photographers of America). These professional organizations are out there looking out for your interests in more than one way. Here's one which could save you from jail:

(Continued after the Jump)

Gizmodo reports, in Photographer Mistaken for Gunman, about a photographer wandering with a tripod, and mistaken for carrying a gun. I've watched as federal and state law enforcement have tensed up, or placed their hands on their automatic weapons, as I have walked towards them with my camera equipment, or a tripod over my shoulder. I make sure to identify myself, be conversational/greet them, and not make any sudden moves, as I know I am under close scrutiny. I am always certain to have my press identification out in the open and visible. Among those on my lanyard around my neck are my ASMP and NPPA cards.

The last thing we need, what with all the restrictions already upon us as photographers, is to have a photographer thought of as threatening because it looks like they're carrying a weapon, or worse yet, as challenged as a true threat. I, and friends, have been unlawfully detained by police during protests, and I get very upset when this happens.

One example that, while I hadn't planned on outling in this piece, but which just became a natural fit, is the case of the Associated Press' Bilal Hussein, who too is an accredited photojournalist, but who has been unlawfully detained by the military because they consider him a spy, threat, or otherwise someone working against the US. Now, everyone under the sun that I know places great creedence in the word of the Associated Press, and if the AP says he's not what they are suggesting he is, then he's not. Period.

In the end, it's imperative that we carry ourselves above reproach, and make sure we have proper identification at all times identifying us as esteemed members of the Fourth Estate.

Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

5 comments:

Djordje said...

Hello John,

I hope you get a minute to answer this question: I am a photo student (ASMP member) from Seattle. Very often I find myself in a situation where I have no access to an event that I'd like to photograph. For instance, the other day I wanted to get closer to Barack Obama on his visit to Seattle, but having no press pass I had to use a very long lens to be able to get "closer".

How would I go about getting a press pass? It is my understanding that no one would issue me one since I am not an employee of any news outlet. Would an ASMP memeber card do any tricks? In your post you mentioned you carry official press identification issued by ASMP and NPPA. Being an ASMP member, can I get the same identification card?

Thank you in advance,
Djordje

Anonymous said...

While a press pass would be invaluable to gain access to restricted events, such as political speeches, I don't see how it makes any difference in the two examples you cited.

If someone mistakes a photographer for a gunman, it's very unlikely that a piece of paper will offer any kind of protection. Even if your ID is visible, it may not be seen or believed. Your deportment, as you described, will do far more to minimize your danger.

And as for Bilal Hussein, it appears that no amount of ID was of any help.

We live in a society where anyone, press photographer or plain citizen, is allowed to carry a camera in public. I would hate to see the day when citizens of a free and democratic society must carry identification papers for the authorities.

John Harrington said...

Djordje -

ASMP does have a media identification card that has a place for you to affix a photograph/headshot, and to sign it, and works in many situations. It most likely would have worked at the Obama event.

John

Anonymous said...

John,

What would you recommend in the case of a new photographer - I am interested in joining a professional association, but it is a lot of money for someone starting out, so I obviously cannot joing several. Is there one which you'd steer me toward?

John Harrington said...

Anthony --

Boy, that's a hard call. There are four primary ones -

American Society of Media Photographers - http://www.ASMP.org

National Press Photographers Association - http://www.NPPA.org

Professional Photographers of America - http://www.PPA.com

Advertising Photographers of America - http://www.APANational.com

Each serves a distinct (but somewhat overlapping community).

If you're a wedding and senior/family portrait photographer, PPA's going to give you the most. If you're a straight photojournalist, NPPA & ASMP will be good. If you're an editorial photographer also doing corporate/commercial, then ASMP would be your best best. If you'r'e looking to do high end advertising/corporate work, look to both ASMP and APA.

ASMP members regularly say (me included) that the cost of membership gets covered each year by the work that you get from prospective clients using their "Find a Photographer" pages, so that might be one thing to consider.

John

Newer Post Older Post