Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Remembering A Legend

Monte Zucker, you may have heard, has gone on to his great reward. Monte first came into my consciousness when I learned that he and I shared the same lab, Custom Touch, in Hyattsville, Maryland. While I only met Monte once, he was legend amongst photographers, and rightly so.

A story I recount, I can assure you, is true. The story goes that Zucker, known to be the best wedding photographer in the business, was arriving to his appointment with a prospective bride, groom, and bride's parents, in the ultra-exclusive Potomac Maryland enclave. As he was walking towards the house, the florist, whom he knew quite well, was leaving. Monte asked if she was doing the wedding, and she said she was, and they'd just confirmed their budget for flowers. "How much?" Monte asked. "$30,000", came the reply. Monte contratulated the florist, and headed in to his appointment.

After looking through his work, and discussing his style, the bride's parents asked the unasked question, "How much for you to be the photographer?" Monte, not missing a beat, said "$30,000." The bill-paying parents were incredulous. "That's outrageous!" they said. Monte, always the calm and collected one, said softly "You're paying $30,000 for flowers, which will last one day. My photographs will last a lifetime, and always remind you of this wonderful occasion. They are certainly worth atleast as much as the flowers." With that, Monte booked the wedding.

We all have much to learn from Monte, not just from him as the consumate businessman, but more importantly, as a good person with a good heart. As is said in Matthew 25:23, "Well done, good and faithful servant...enter thou into the joy of thy lord." Rest in peace, Monte.


Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monte shot my Bar Mitzvah in 1970, so that tells you how old I am...and to this day, about once a year, my family pulls out that Leathercraft album, just so that my kids can giggle at how we all looked "back in the day".
Monte will be missed.

Anonymous said...

Monte knew more about posing than anyone else I've met. A great guy and a fantastic photographer.

Salute!

Newer Post Older Post