Wednesday, January 16, 2008

ASMP Strictly Business 2 - Los Angeles, in 1 Week!

In case you missed the announcement back in September, the Los Angeles Strictly Business 2 traveling seminar weekend is just one week away!

It takes place next weekend (Jan 26th-27th), and is a must-attend event. (The activities on the Friday are private consults, and an opening reception.)

Planes, trains, or automobiles - it doesn't matter how you get there, because this is worth traveling for! It is going to be a remarkable weekend that will either get you started right, or bolster your existing business skills.

Here's what I wrote back in September:

(Continued after the Jump)

After over a decade's hiatus, the Strictly Business seminar program has made its return, titled Strictly Business 2. I can look back 10+ years, to when the original series visited my area, when I didn't really have the $200 or so it cost to attend back then. I also didn't have the $150 for an hour with legendary consultant Elyse Weissberg, but I spent it, because I knew, I just knew, it would make a difference. Yet I see that experience - and it was an experience, all weekend long - as one of the cornerstone's of my success that I enjoy now. It was the foundation for the rest of my career, and it got my off on the right path, without a doubt.

As such, I consider it a privilege to have been asked to be one of the presenters, along with Blake Discher, and Leslie Burns-Dell'Acqua. Discher and I, along with current ASMP President Judy Hermann, and immediate past Presidents Clem Spaulding and Susan Carr, all chart a degree of our success to the original program, and others have testimonials worth reading.

It's got a lot of meat for the seasoned pro, however, the beginner will benefit greatly as well. In a way, it's like the Simpsons is funny - youngsters laugh at one level of humor, while adults laugh raucously at the deeper jokes in the program. So too will the seasoned pro take away a great deal of strictly business insights into the weekend.

So, where are we heading to, and where should you be making your travel plans to, if it's not in one of your hometowns?

  • LOS ANGELES: JANUARY 25–27
  • ATLANTA: FEBRUARY 22–24
  • PHILADELPHIA: MARCH 7–9
  • CHICAGO: APRIL 11–13
So, make those travel plans now. Space is limited, and last time it definately sold out fast.

Here's details from the website:
Take control of your career. Attend the American Society of Media Photographers' weekend conference series Strictly Business 2. Learn to negotiate your prices and contracts. Get answers to your marketing questions. Prepare yourself to build a successful and sustainable business. Don't miss this rare opportunity to gain first-hand experience from the experts.

ASMP’s Strictly Business 2 is a weekend conference that will teach you real-world business skills and help you thrive in our highly competitive industry. SB2 brings you consultations, lectures, video presentations, a keynote address, workshops, hands-on negotiating training, and social gatherings to share and learn from your peers. This weekend will change the way you look at your business — join us.

Who should attend? Are you struggling to put the business pieces together? Are you overwhelmed with the pace of change in the industry? Is your career meeting your creative and financial goals? Attend SB2 and get a road map of answers. Strictly Business 2 is for those starting out in the business and those needing a boost. Have you been working in retail photography and dabbling in commercial? SB2 is for you, too. Are you a student or emerging professional? Treat yourself to an intensive weekend packed with the information you need to build a career as a photographer.

The original Strictly Business series was a transforming event in the careers of many of ASMP's most prominent members. Read their testimonials. Today, Strictly Business 2 can transform your career too.

Traveling to SB2? The extra benefit of SB2 is the community it creates. By staying at the conference hotel, you receive even more opportunities to interact with fellow photographers, the educators and our sponsors. The locations offer ease of travel for those flying or driving. Use the conference hotel and take advantage of incredible ASMP secured rates. And don't forget that two meals a day and two social hours are included in your conference fee!
Click here to register.

Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

John -

I hate to be "that guy," but something happens so often that I'm beginning to feel bad... Please learn the difference between it's and its. You'll look better in the end.

With Sincere Regards,
Anonymous

Anonymous said...

It would be great if it is possible to download the slide of the event.
People like me, that live in Europe, have some little probelms to reach the US to attend ASMP SB2.
I will be really interested.
5 years ago I was in big work troubles (no, work, no money, Italian market in great difficulties), looking at US photographers I understood how to go against the flood of the market and to react to trouble times. Now I'm tryng to give to my job a more stable structure (I aquired a big archive from an old photographer and I start to put to work mine) to pay a secretary and an assistant.
So I' really interested but for this year I can't come to US.
I would like to access to on line classes or to have the slides of the lessons.

John Harrington said...

"It's" fixed. Thanks.

I do not know that we're planning on putting up slides, as of right now. If we do, I'll put it on the blog.

-- John

Anonymous said...

Thank John, don't forget if you come to Milan Italy to call me, I would like to know you..

Joshua Meador said...

Looks like this will be a very informative event. I wish I could go, but being a poor college student, $225 for registration, airfare from Sacramento and a hotel room breaks the budget.

Just wanted to tell you thanks for this blog and you book John, I have learned so much about the business from you.

-Joshua

Newer Post Older Post