Monday, March 23, 2009

Is Spec Work Evil? A SXSW Perspective


The atmosphere in the audience at the panel discussion was very tense, I am told. Recently, Forbes wrote about one of the proponents of spec work, CrowdSpring, in this article - The Creativity of Crowds, 1/22/09.

The short answer: OF COURSE Spec Work is evil! However, it is of great value for you to hear from the other perspective so you can better understand your own!

(Comments, if any, after the Jump)


Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

4 comments:

Kevin Mudd said...

Sorry John,
you may not agree with me on this, but when I hear... "from a designers standpoint" over and over and over again, it's time for that creative to get a new mindset. Nobody on the left talked about the clients "standpoint".
It doesn't take rocket science to figure out what Crowdspring (et al)is all about and that some people like it. But the true value of a design company is great design backed by great service (aka the relationship). It's the latter part of this statement that the online creatives cannot compete...and therein lies the mote that guards the kingly riches.
If I were a business and I wanted to spend my money wisely on a brand, and I had to consider hiring full service established lifeline company or a oneshot discount creative, I might want to consider the following business questions. Once I have the design...what do I do with it? How do I integrate it with collateral branding? In four years who do I go to to refresh my brand without losing my identity?
It seems pretty clear to me. Crowdspring et al. can't compete, will never compete on that level. Somebody should be explain that to Carsen.

Anonymous said...

I didn't go to the spec work panel, but the buzz I heard from friends that went is that is was one of the most animated discussions of any SXSW panel. Not surprising :)

Keith Emmerich said...

I recently graduated from photo school and I was lucky enough that my school has some business classes. Most every other "art" or photo school I looked at did not offer business classes. It is possible the market supports this less experienced work because possibly the new artists don't understand a profitable way of doing business business. Working at sub standard rates only means you will soon be out of business.

KE

Andrew Pinkham said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Newer Post Older Post