Friday, November 21, 2008

Star-Ledger: It's a Team Effort

There have been a variety of comments on the subject of Assistant Deputy Photo Editor Mitchell Seidel (LinkedIn: Profile), as reported in Editor & Publisher (Buyout-Depleted 'Star-Ledger' Reassigns Two Journos -- To Mailroom, 11/19/08) now working in the mailroom.

Many reports and comments I've heard centered around the ha ha, isn't that funny, and the is this what they went to college for, kind.

As I sit back and contemplate the evolution and the changes that are taking place, I see Seidel doing exactly what he should - pitching in WHEREVER he is needed.

(Continued after the Jump)

Feel free to mock him if you'd like (and I'll watch your karmic savings account self-deplete), but in this downturn, what Mitchells' actions are saying is "I will do anything - whatever it takes - to keep my job and my paper alive." His actions most definitely are speaking louder than words. Mitchell is not above this "type" of work. None of us are above it. Heck, next they should slash the cleaning crew, and let everyone on their way out of the office at night empty their own trash. What a cost savings that would be.

Mitchell - hats' off to you and your 28 years of service to the Star-Ledger. You epitomize what it means to be a team player.

Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for him. I agree with you. Most of the shake-out is (IMO) an over-reaction. This has happened before in deep recessions.

I wish him the best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Why do these owners treat photography related employees with such little respect?

Are any of the writers delivering mail? Or was their union strong enough to prevent that from happening?

I hope that some photojournalists keep on eye on this new deal. Looks like we'll have to include a mop, a broom, and some hedge clippers in our camera bag in the future.

Wayne Thomas said...

It is sad. It is really sad. I have been in photojournalism for 3 years and all the places that I have looked up to are downsizing. The goal I have had at working at a larger paper and having time to do photo stories and working on broader ranging assignments are diminishing rapidly.
I left corporate America to get into this business and struggled for years to stay afloat and get to the puny place where I am now. It is tragic. I feel for Mr. Seidel. I just can't imagine.

MarcWPhoto said...

When I applied for the job I had now, I told my prospective boss (the CEO) the following:

"The phrase 'that's not my job' is not in my vocabulary. If it needs doing and nobody else can and will do it, I'm on it. I'm not too proud to help clean up a mess so nobody slips and falls. However, I have to point out that utilizing a highly-educated and highly-skilled person to mop up messes doesn't make economic sense, and if it happens too often, we probably have a problem."

The other applicant had experience and connections that made me look pretty green, but I got the job and he didn't. Since I did have enough qualifications, the fact that his were better didn't beat my attitude.

M

Anonymous said...

Nice blog dear i have really learnt a lot from this blog thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi Dear

YOur bolg is very nice. I have really learnt a lot from this blog thanks

Anonymous said...

^^ nice blog!! ^@^

徵信, 徵信, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 感情挽回, 婚姻挽回, 挽回婚姻, 挽回感情, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信, 捉姦, 徵信公司, 通姦, 通姦罪, 抓姦, 抓猴, 捉猴, 捉姦, 監聽, 調查跟蹤, 反跟蹤, 外遇問題, 徵信, 捉姦, 女人徵信, 女子徵信, 外遇問題, 女子徵信, 徵信社, 外遇, 徵信公司, 徵信網, 外遇蒐證, 抓姦, 抓猴, 捉猴, 調查跟蹤, 反跟蹤, 感情挽回, 挽回感情, 婚姻挽回, 挽回婚姻, 外遇沖開, 抓姦, 女子徵信, 外遇蒐證, 外遇, 通姦, 通姦罪, 贍養費, 徵信, 徵信社, 抓姦, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信公司, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信公司, 徵信社, 徵信公司, 女人徵信, 外遇

徵信, 徵信網, 徵信社, 徵信網, 外遇, 徵信, 徵信社, 抓姦, 徵信, 女人徵信, 徵信社, 女人徵信社, 外遇, 抓姦, 徵信公司, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信公司, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 女人徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 女子徵信社, 女子徵信社, 女子徵信社, 女子徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 征信, 征信, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 征信, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社,

Newer Post Older Post