Friday, July 27, 2007

US Presswire - A Few Final Thoughts

Near the end of our conversation, Bob made a point of saying "The advocacy of differences of opinion is healthy", to which I agreed. I just see things as principled and while Bob said "I do want things to be better, we have to work towards those things. One day, maybe things will change." I have to say that I want to be an agent of that change, and I don't want to be a part of organizations that accept the status quo, but rather, establish a line in the sand and stand up for the right things, even if everyone else is doing the wrong things."

When you do deals like this, says Tom DiPace, "you're destroying your future, and everyone else's future. " I couldn't have said it better myself.

US Presswire - Introduction
US Presswire - A Conflict of Interest
US Presswire - Friends Don't Screw Friends
US Presswire - Contract Analysis
US Presswire - The Client's Perspective
US Presswire - The Freelancers Perspective
US Presswire - Closing Thoughts

Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, John. Lot's of really good investigative journalism here. A lot to read through. I'm going to go back and re-read it all for a second time.

Good job!

Let's do Pho soon,

Matt M.

Anonymous said...

Great expose John,

It was because of the direction the industry was headed after the highly publicized New York Times and Newsweek rights grab contracts that prompted me to start my own electronic wire service. Unlike others I refused to go with Wire Image or string with a paper for pennies. I am hard at work trying to raise the profile of my company I-Light Media where photogs get 80% of what they sell. Why or how can I afford to do this? Well because I have another job that pays the bills and I also get paid to write. Where we differ is that we offer to pay photogs when their pictures are sold. The company is still very much in its infancy but one day...What most photogs don't realize is that together we have the power to change the industry. If we are everywhere the news happens then those who want the content will pay us for it whether its here or internationally. Check us out at www.ilightmediaws.com
Jake McDonald
CEO

Anonymous said...

John, you forgot to mention the Chili's gift certificates. Hah!

Seriously, thank you so much for doing this. I hope anybody who is considering doing work for them, or who has recently started, gets their eyes on this.

Anonymous said...

John,

Thank you for the insight that I could not manage to get myself. I am a veteran sports photographer with a short lived relationship with USPresswire. I worked with them in the spring of this year for a three week stretch because I had seen quite a few photo credits around and knew Bob Rosato was an SI shooter. Two out of the three events were close to home, so we agreed they would pay my expenses for the one event away from home and split sales 50/50. I submitted my expenses to brother Ed a few weeks after and was assured I could expect reimbursement within 30 days. I saw several images appear in publications such as USA Today and heard from others of several more in different regional papers. As of today, I have not been reimbursed for expenses or any sales from those events, nor have I ever been given a sales report. In the beginning of September, I contacted Bob about these issues and he reassured me that USPresswire would shortly rectify the situation. He also sounded puzzled why I had not been in contact for additional assignments. I hope he wasn't holding his breath waiting for me to call....so for anyone that needs a photo credential to that big game, good luck and remember you can't eat a photo credit.

Newer Post Older Post