Wednesday, January 23, 2008

What We Use Video Series

One of the things that happens often, is friends and colleagues ask what equipment we use, how we pack it, travel with it, and so forth. Further, with interns coming and going (40+, to date), it was a frequent occurrence that I was training and explaining to them what we use, and how we use it. So, during what was our slow period around the holidays, we ramped up and produced a series of videos. All together, they total 1 hour, 49 minutes, and took a month to produce, from production meetings to finishing editing - much more than I had expected to commit, but none-the-less it was a worthwhile endeavor. I've been collecting video for some time, from shoots and setup images, and so I've combined related video from those to an explaination of each case. I was inspired by Chase Jarvis' similar series, and am pleased with my results.

Below is the introduction, and I have transcribed every segment, and, on AssignmentConstruct, there are links to every piece of equipment we could find on either Adorama, Amazon, or, B&H, in case you're looking for that tool yourself.

Below the video is a link to each of the segments on AssignmentConstruct. Let me know what you think!

Introduction of The What We Use Video Series

Individual Segments:
Softbox & Light Modifier Kit  |||  Lighting Stands Case  |||  Primary Hensel Vela Lighting Kit  |||  Rololights Continuous Source Lighting  |||  Rololights Lighting Stands Kit  |||  Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III Kit  |||  Nikon D3 Kit  |||  Jacobsen Sound Blimp Kit  |||  California Sunbounce Lighting Reflector  |||  Gels & Gelly Rolls  |||  Lowel DP Hotlight Kit  |||  Lowel Omni & Tota Hotlight Kit  |||  Macbook Pro Laptop Kit  |||  Hensel Porty Bi-Tube Kit  |||  Hensel Porty Kit  |||  Hensel Porty Ringlight Kit  |||  Hensel Tria 1500 Kit  |||  Hensel Tria 3000 Kit  |||  Hensel Vela Add-On Kit  |||  Cord Kit  |||  Kenyon Gyro Kit  |||  Reviewing Kit  |||  Photo Equipment Carts  |||  Photo Equipment Cases  |||  Computers & Monitors - Travel Kit  |||  Fog Machine  |||  Hasselblad Kit  |||  White Lightning Lighting Kit  |||  Video Kit  |||  Audio Entertainment Kit  |||  Audio Sound Kit  |||  Sandbags  |||  Stands

(Comments, if any, after the Jump)


Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

10 comments:

John MacDonald said...

Super series! Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Anonymous said...

John,

I don't know if this only happens to me but some pictures and now this video embedded on your posts are being displayed over the actual text of the posting (does that make sense?!).

Anyway... If I find an email to contact you I'll send a screen capture of what I'm trying to describe...

And for the techie savvys out there I'm on a Windows XP using IE 6.

John Harrington said...

Hmmm, I'm not seeing that problem...let me look into it.

Thanks!

Sean Austin said...

Wow, great idea John. Thanks for the b/s/t you put into this series.

(BTW, if the previous poster were to use Firefox instead of IE, the pic over text problem will go away).

Anonymous said...

John-

I just finished watching a bunch of the segments. Very well done. I can only imagine how long they took to produce. Know that they have value outside of your interns.

Unknown said...

John
The D3 link is bad - And I have a similar problem with the image over the text - actually it looks that way but the text is in a one character column to the left of the image - in this case "Below the video l" is left of the image/video window. This has been occuring for a long time on you blog I just thought it was my IE7.
Great blog John.
Thanks
Joe Sorrentino

Anonymous said...

John,

This is a great resource! I like how you included even little things like the sandbags and cords. Very instructive.

The gyro video actually shows the one with the laptop, though.

David

Anonymous said...

Good series. Would hate to see the grand total for all that gear. I couldn't afford the bags you put them in, let alone what's inside.

Couple bad links though. As mentioned, Nikon D3 is bad, also, the Kenyon Giro kit has the laptop video, not the gyro video.

Anonymous said...

John

Great job on the videos!!!.... Why do you have two camera kits.... a Nikon and a Canon kit? wouldn't it be easier to stick with one or the other?

Vasiliy

Anonymous said...

会社設立
クレジットカード 海外旅行保険
結婚指輪
育毛剤
薬剤師 求人
ワンクリック詐欺
債務整理
toefl 
個別指導塾
幼児教室
合宿 免許
名刺

Newer Post Older Post