Monday, September 3, 2007

They've Been Ordered

It has been a very dificult past 20 months for me. As a lifelong Nikon photographer, I succumbed to the Canon line of equipment - only temporarily - because of what can only be described as heinous noise at 800 iso and above, and marginally acceptable noise at 640. However, to serve my clients who needed me to work in low light situations, I felt I had no other choice but to shoot Canon. Mind you, I didn't switch. I have used my Nikons for portraits, outdoor photography, and so forth. It just feels right in my hands. Yet, I've had to use the 1Ds Mark II for the high ISO needs, and it's worked great.

Now, I see examples here and here that show just what the new D3 will do at 3200, and it's amazing. So, I ordered one from my longtime friend and fellow professional photographer Jeff Snyder, who used to be at Penn Camera (when he wasn't out covering assignments), but have moved up to the big leagues, and is now working for Adorama, yet still based in DC.

Because I still have a need for larger file sizes, and I don't want to drop $20k on a back for my Hasselblad, I've also placed an order for the 1Ds Mark III as well. Maybe when some form of a D3x comes out, I'll be able to return to being a 100% Nikon photographer, but, at this point, I doubt it.

(Continued after the Jump)

It's all about the right tool for the job. Each system works a little differently, and I have come to be comfortable switching between them both. Further, I don't see a need to be tagged as a Nikon or Canon photographer. When the new bodies come out, I can simply evaluate which is best for my needs, and then add to my arsenal. With a full range of both Nikon and Canon lenses, I can serve my clients in the best way possible. I also have a Hasselblad and I had, for a long time, a full Mamiya setup. Just having two brands of 35mm cameras seems strange when it's Nikon/Canon. But, have it Hasselblad/Pentax, or Mamiya/Rollei, and it doesn't seem like such a big deal.

I do realize it's a bit of a luxury, but I got tired of having Canon images kick the D2x's rear, and were I just Canon, I'd tire (and wince a little) when I see the D3's images stomp all over the 1D Mark III, and then, whatever D3x flavor arrives, seeing it stomp on the 1Ds Mark III. So, no more, for as far as I can see.

I anxiously await their arrival in November and December. With cleaner images and lower noise throughout, it'll further streamline my post-production workflow, and my clients will be well served. To e-mail Jeff and get your own, click this link: jsnyder@adorama.com
Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

1 comments:

Dion said...

"I'd tire (and wince a little) when I see the D3's images stomp all over the 1D Mark III"


That is funny, the first thing I thought when I saw the shots was, even with full frame they didn't quite beat the 1DMK3. Comparing those shots to the ISO 3200 (and even 6400) that I saw at Rob Galbraith certainly didn't bring the word stomp to mind.

Newer Post Older Post