Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Effective SEO - Please Welcome liveBooks

I've been in the "website game" since about 1995, with my first website on my Compuserve webspace. My second website is still floating around the internet, housed on AOL's servers. I recall switching between NCSA Mosaic and NetManage's Chameleon. Each year, the web expanded, and I endeavored to keep up. Pre-Google, the game in town was Yahoo, Altavista, and the like. Staying abreast of everything took a great deal of effort, but being online, bleeding edge, has been profitable for me as a photographer. A few years ago, I was finally able to place my trust in someone to do re-do my entire site, with a critical concern being to remain in my current positions for the various search terms that were important to me. At the time, there were no effective turnkey solutions, and moreover, because of the 100+ pages of pricing and other information, only a custom solution would work for me.

Since then, a field that was limited, at best, has grown. Anyone with Dreamweaver now calls themselves a website designer, and anyone with Google's ADD URL url calls themselves a search engine optimizer. Moreover, if you can compartmentalize your flash/javascript with a few variables, and tweak an e-commerce backend, you will call yourself a website service provider.

Below are links to several really amazing studies and other click-able insights.

(Continued after the Jump)

Some of these purveyors have built something, and they're being used, and they're not SEO optimized, nor really easy to use. It's like the programmer built it, sold it, and continues to sell it, without significant interest in additional revisions, with the "if it ain't broke, don't revise it..." mentality.

Yet one service - liveBooks, continues a commitment to excellence, and has now come on board as an advertiser here. I've meet with these folks over the past year on a variety of issues. At first, I was skeptical, for SEO reasons. They established, and have revised, their HTML/SEO-friendly shadow pages. They're made much of their client commitment doing everything they can to make it easy for their customers' sites to be found.

Rob Haggert, known better to most as A Photo Editor, wrote:
Livebooks: I’ve said it before, “I love livebooks.” They revolutionized the online portfolio. Big, vibrant photos and not much else. I’m not shillin’ for them at all and I can honestly say photographers have risen a notch in my book by switching to their product. Contributor Terence Patrick coined it “the black leather portfolio book of the web.” That’s how I feel about it as well. If you can’t beat it, don’t bother.
Yup, and I still have some of those black leather portfolios in my office from my analog days.

Last November, during a trip to San Francisco, I stopped in to liveBooks' offices, met their team of people - your potential team of people - and talked about all things web. From SEO, to functionality, update-ability, and so forth, we covered everything.

Think that liveBooks sites can't rank on SEO? Think again. I did a little research about how well they are doing on that front. Check the following sites where liveBooks sites are ranking extremely well (click the ranking link to see the position for yourself) :



PhotographerSearch termGoogleYahoo

Brad ManginSports PhotographerGoogle #1Yahoo-#3
 San Franciso Sports PhotographerGoogle-#3Yahoo-#3
Lou Mannafood photographerGoogle-#2Yahoo-#14
Ken Weingartheadshot photographerGoogle-#3Yahoo-#33
 Los Angeles fashion photographyGoogle-#3Yahoo-#11

One very valuable insight is this article, from awhile ago, about search position versus click-throughs, and just how where you fall is critical. They also did an "EyeTracker study" which is absolutely worth reading, and shows just how much attention there is on the first page. It's extremely insightful.

The one - and there's only one, really - concern I hear from people who've done some of their research into website options and liveBooks - and that is one of cost. It's just over $3k for their full package. Once those people have actually completed their research, they realize that it's atleast that much for a well designed site, if not more. Further, the update-ability of their new custom site isn't easy - certainly not as easy as liveBooks. And, there's no team of people that remains, on the backend, looking for ways to improve a product you've already purchased. Many site designers have moved on to their next project, and requests for updates/fixes take a back seat.

So, please join me in welcoming liveBooks as an advertiser here.

Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

They may have a good product, but their banner is downright annoying. Advertisements like that are why I use the ad blocking features of browsers.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good product, but other than the photos, all of the sites look essentially the same. I guess that's the limitation of template-based sites. Ironic for creative professionals!

Anonymous said...

I use a customized slideshowpro flash website that is extremely easy to update and significantly cheaper than livebooks. See my site here for an example: www.shannon-jensen.com

John Harrington said...

Shannon --

We all evolve over time. I looked at the underlying code of your site, and there's nearly zero coding that is search-engine friendly. What this translates into, is in fact, lost revenue. This is, because, on several searches I performed, the only one where you get to Google's first page is when I search for your name. While that's good when people are searching for you, the real benefit of being findable on the search engines that will result in revenue because you are findable. For me, that results in lots of assignments because when you search for "washington DC photographer" I come up first. Similarily, try a generic search for "concert photographer" (without the quotes) and I come up on Google's first page as well. THAT translates into additional revenue, far and away beyond what it costs to put up a $2k, $3k, or even more, as site expenses, with just one (or a few) assignments.

So many people will set a limit of $500 or $1k for their site, not realizing how much it costs them in lost assignments because they're not being found!

As to the banner complaint from anonymous- it's doing it's job, in getting your attention, which, in this frenetic world, is good that it was eye catching.

John

Anonymous said...

I have been with livebooks for a year and a half. I have zero complaints.

Their tech support answers all of my questions, and like John mentioned, they are always thinking of new features and when they do, they show up as options on the back end (Edit Suite)

I started with their lowest package and add things like portfolios, about me pages and blog link as I grew.

I cant say enough good things about LiveBooks.

-eric

emilie said...

I, too, am a very happy liveBooks client. Their customer service is quick and friendly, and their product is gorgeous. I am constantly complimented on the clean design and bright, large images. I was skeptical about switching from my independent web designer, but I am oh-so glad I did! Business has never been better.

Christopher Barth said...

John - Have you seen fluid galleries by Evrium? Similar to LiveBooks. Their support team told me that the newest version will have html indexed pages (shadow pages) Do I need to ask them about other features which will enhance SEO? Thanks for your insight, and your break-out session at SB2 in Philly. - Chris

Unknown said...

Ya,this product seems to be a good.Hope it will be move on market.
---------
siva

SEO

Newer Post Older Post